By J. L. Heilbron
* Inventing a detector for electromagnetic waves
* learning the lifestyles of alpha and beta rays in uranium radiation
* developing (with Frederick Soddy) the "disintegration concept" of radioactivity, which regards radioactive phenomena as atomic -- no longer molecular -- processes
* Demonstrating that the interior constructions of components correspond with a gaggle of traces that represent them, which can then be assigned an atomic quantity and, extra very important, the homes of every point should be outlined by means of this number
* And his maximum contribution of all - he chanced on that the atom had a nucleus and that it contained the definitely charged proton
From his early days as a scholarship scholar to the top of his existence as he persisted to paintings in his lab, Ernest Rutherford unearths the existence and occasions of 1 of the best minds of the 20 th century.
Oxford pics in technology is an on-going sequence of clinical biographies for teenagers. Written via best students and writers, every one biography examines the character of its topic in addition to the idea strategy resulting in his or her discoveries. those illustrated biographies mix available technical info with compelling own tales to painting the scientists whose paintings has formed our knowing of the ordinary world.
Read Online or Download Ernest Rutherford: And the Explosion of Atoms (Oxford Portraits in Science) PDF
Best biographies & memoirs of scientists books
Geoffrey Balls außergewöhnliches Technologieabenteuer begann im legendären Silicon Valley Kaliforniens und führte ihn schließlich in die österreichischen Alpen, wo er heute lebt und arbeitet. Schon als sort erkannte Ball, dass Zeichensprache, Hörgeräte und Lippenlesen keine befriedigende Antwort auf seine Schwerhörigkeit boten.
What drove Nobel-winning physicist Hans Bethe, head of Theoretical Physics at Los Alamos through the new york undertaking, to later surrender the weaponry he had labored so tirelessly to create? that's one of many questions responded through Nuclear Forces, a riveting biography of Bethe’s formative years and improvement as either a scientist and a guy of precept.
“There are few books that discover the advanced family among well-known mom and dad and their young ones. I knew Claudio and his Nobel-laureate father, Emilio Segrè; during this sincere, indignant, loving memoir I pay attention their voices back, talking around the gulf that each one households fight to bridge. ” — Richard Rhodes, writer of darkish solar: The Making of the Hydrogen Bomb“This is a hot and openhearted booklet.
Una bambina attratta dalla scienza, poi studentessa di veterinaria con l. a. passione della ricerca. Una donna determinata a raggiungere i propri obiettivi personali e professionali che diventa una scienziata di livello internazionale, il cui contributo allo studio dei virus è riconosciuto in Italia e all'estero.
Extra info for Ernest Rutherford: And the Explosion of Atoms (Oxford Portraits in Science)